Want just the right amount of zing and pop with your wings?
This recipe will give you an easy way to make great wings. A little rum, a little habanero, and a lot of great flavors. These wings are perfect for snacking on while watching the game, or just hanging with friends! All you need is a few very special ingredients and you will be well on your way to an incredible treat.
Are you ready?
- 3/4 cup spicy dark rum
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 large cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 scallions (divided, finely chopped and thinly sliced for garnish)
- 1-2 habanero peppers (seeded and minced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (peeled and minced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoonskosher salt
- 12 chicken wings (wings and drumettes)
- lime wedges (to serve)
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the rum, lime juice, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, green onion, habanero, ginger, all spice, black pepper and salt, and stir to combine.
- In a re-sealable food storage bag, add the chicken wings and the marinade. Press air out of bag and seal tightly. Turn bag over to completely coat chicken. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight, turning bag once or twice.
- Remove chicken to a bowl. In a small saucepan, add the marinade and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes until marinade has reduced by half.
- Prepare charcoal grill by placing charcoal on one half of grill. Light charcoal and wait for embers to become white and up to temperature. Add wood chips. Replace grate and add wings to side of grill not containing charcoal. Cook until charred on both sides and juices run clear, about 30-45 minutes. Once done, toss wings in reserved cooked marinade mixture. Return wings to grill for 5 minutes to create a caramelized crust, turning often.
- Alternatively, preheat oven to 325ºF. Place marinated wings on a cooling rack wings fitted inside a baking sheet. Bake until the internal temperature of wings are 165ºF, about 30-45 minutes. Preheat grill pan over medium-high heat. Toss wings in reduced marinade mixture. Grill wings until charred on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Serve wings with lime wedges and chopped scallions!
- Helpful Tip: simply remove the rum for a kid friendly dish!
What do you think? Pretty awesome right