London Broil Can Be Tough If You Don’t Cook It Right. See How to Do it Better Here!
It may come as a surprise to many, but the always delicious “London Broil” actually has nothing to do with London, or even England. We may not necessarily know its exact origins, but we know it comes from somewhere in North America. Either way, London broil is a fantastic dish made from a grilled and marinated flank steaks and a perfect meal for any family looking for a great grilled dinner on a budget. The beauty of London Broil is the ability to get great, flavorful cuts of steak from a relatively inexpensive cut of meat.
To make the perfect London broil, we started with the standard cut of meat: a great, fresh flank steak, though a top round steak will work just as well. We wanted a slightly spicy, slightly smoky dish. It’s important to season the flank steak well in advance, and to marinate it longer depending on its thickness. To cook, we tossed the steak on the grill with the highest possible flame and let cook only a little bit to let it stay rare and juicy.
Keep reading below for this fantastic recipe…
- 4 tablespoons minced chipotle in adobo sauce (usually found in the International or Mexican section of the grocery store)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 flank steak (2 1/2lbs), about 1″ thick
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
- In a bowl, whisk together the chipotle, honey, garlic, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, and oil.
- Season the steak with salt. Pat the meat evenly with the chipotle mixture and let rest for at least an hour at room temperature, or overnight in the refrigerator. Let the steak come to room temperature before grilling.
- Preheat the grill to as hot as you can. Brush off any bits of garlic or chile from the meat and grill, covered, until the meat is charred on the outside and done to taste inside (4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare). Let the meat rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.