Enjoy the flavors of this tangy, sweet Fireball Apple Butter Barbecue Sauce where the apple butter is the shining star with a hint of cinnamon from the Fireball whiskey. Excellent basting sauce for pork or chicken barbecue dishes.
When I saw this recipe, I decided to try to make it at home .. had some pork chops in the fridge and what better opportunity than this .. believe me is incredible !!!
Yields: 3 cups
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Sauce cooking time: 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey (or another brand of cinnamon whiskey)
- 1 1/2 cups apple butter
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add olive oil and tilt saucepan until bottom is coated with oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté for a couple minutes until onions are translucent.
- Pour in the Fireball Whiskey and stir together to combine. Bring just to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 10 minutes (the onions should become soft).
- While the onions, garlic, and whiskey are simmering, in a medium bowl combine the apple butter, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- When the onions have finished cooking in the whiskey, add the sauce mixture and stir together. Turn the heat back up to medium-high and bring back to a boil. Once the barbecue sauce is boiling again, turn the heat back down to medium-low and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and salt and pepper to taste. If you would like the sauce a little sweeter, then add 1 tablespoon at a time of brown sugar.
© 2021 2018 Grilled.net